I really miss it. I miss being a marathoner, an endurance athlete. I miss being the guy who got up early, ran before work and had energy all day.
That was about 50 pounds ago. Now, a run is sporadic. Wheezy. Achey. Sometimes painful. I live near hills, they don't all go down. I have 4 kids. They don't want me to go.
I like beer. I love ice cream. I work. I am a husband. I have stress.
See why I miss the run? There was always a start and a finish. An expectation that I set, one that I was accountable to. I competed against me.
I am proud of the runner I am (not gonna let the old days go yet).
- 6 Marathons, Chicago 2x, Phoenix 2x, Madison 2x
- About 8 or so Half Marathons
- A sprint triathlon - keep reading, I am not a triathlete.
- A 50 mile Ultra-Marathon.Which you can see below, I finished holding hands with my oldest two boys! Awesome.
I am proud to be a husband. 4 Kids. Yep, we have 4 kids. Who qualified me to have 4 kids? Well, no backing out now. What's done is done!
So, why now? Why a blog? Why an outlet?
Well, it is to find balance. To dig into myself, and build me up. Self serving. Yep.
I know it is beginning that way, but, with any luck, one other dad will read this and visit more than once. A dad will share this. A wife will ask her husband to read this. Maybe it will make a ripple!
So, here is my inital, subject to change, list of objectives:
- Run two marathons in 2013.
- Lose 30-50 pounds or be able to fit into that closet full of clothes that I have.
- Smile more and have the energy to wrassle with the kids, play and goof off with them.
- Balance work, family, fitness and faith.
- Be happier.
So, if you happen by here, stop by. PLEASE comment, I need inspiration too, and share it if you are inclined.